Friday, May 30, 2014

BREAKFAST

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day"

I've heard that saying so many times, yet I have never actually believed in it, until recently.

For years and years, I've always skipped breakfast.
I didn't know why, but I was feeling that if I skip breakfast, it'll be easier to lose weight.

Well.. I did lose some weight, but somehow I couldn't keep it.
I keep on gaining shortly afterwards, sometimes even more than what I've lost.

It took me a heartbreak, few diet methods, and a lot of reading to realize that breakfast is very important, and we shouldn't skip it (well, never skip ANY meal actually).

Why is breakfast important?
It provides you with the energy and nutrients that you need to function on your work/study/other activities, and it is important in maintaining a healthy body weight.

What is 'bad breakfast'?
  • Too much carbohydrate: consuming too much carb, especially simple carb (e.g. white rice, white bread, etc.) can spike your blood sugar level. This could lead to 'cravings' throughout the day. 
  • Having nothing: skipping breakfast is a very big mistake. When you skip breakfast and go too long without eating, your body goes into 'starvation' (fat storing) mode. Later on, when you eat (and probably overeat because you haven't eat anything), your body will take all the fat from your meal and store it. Not to forget, you will experience cravings too.
So never skip your breakfast, and eat the right food for breakfast!


Some healthy breakfast ideas:
  • Whole grain products
  • Oats
  • Eggs (omelette/poached/boiled, preferably organic ones)
  • Fruits 
  • Fresh juice or smoothies (fruits and/or greens, sugarless)
  • Chia seeds (see my previous post on this)
  • Milk (cow/soy/almond/hazelnut, depends on your preference and/or condition)
What to avoid for breakfast:
  • Simple carbs: white bread, white rice, porridge, donuts, pastries, muffins, bagels, etc
  • Cereals (sorry, but they are high on sugar)
  • Bottled juice and other fruit drinks (also high on sugar and preservatives)
  • Fried food: sausages, bacon, butter-fried eggs, hash browns or fries, etc.

Now.. A li'l bit personal..
What do I usually have for my breakfast?

Ever since I got into this "healthy living" style, I prepare my own breakfast, most of the time. That way, I can really control my intake. 
I try to switch between menus, and constantly looking for other healthy breakfast recipes. 
The option is limitless, just be creative!

Here are some of my breakfast menus:
Left to right:
smoothies & omelette; chia seeds with almond milk, honey and berries; boiled eggs, boiled veggies with vegan mayo, and unsweetened soymilk; and hazelnut milk

So remember..
"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day"
Don't skip it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment