Friday, June 6, 2014

COOKING


For me, cooking is art.
Just like music, you're creating a harmonious composition from many ingredients.

I love to cook, but I'm not a chef.
I cook mostly for myself, sometimes for my closest people, and I keep it simple (i.e. can't do the complicated ones ;)).

I never remember when did I actually start to like cooking.
I remember making pancakes and poffertjes (mini Dutch pancakes) for my family as a child, which was very easy (dad was there to help me :))

I was also cooking quite a lot during my 4 year stay in New Zealand, since eating out off course costs more. 
But they were mostly easy ones, cause my time was limited (well, I was there to study, not to cook), as well as my cooking skill. Fried stuff, sauteed veggies, soups and very simple desserts were pretty much it.

After I went back home, I cook whenever I have the time. Well, at some point I didn't cook for years because I didn't have the time and/or motivation.

I started cooking again few months ago, for my family and my boyfriend (the main reason I start cooking again <3) on weekends. Roast chicken, sausage roll, and turkey sandwich were my first dishes.
I didn't expect them to be delicious (trying not to get my hopes to high), at least edible. 
But surprisingly, my boyfriend liked them, as well as my parents and my grandma (hope they're for real ;)).
After that I tried other recipes, like roast salmon, roast baby potatoes with herbs (Royce's favorite), and meatloaf.
Whenever I cook for other people, I try my best to make it healthy but still tasty.
I use organic ingredients whenever I could, less salt, good oils, more herbs, and less sugar/sweeteners for the sweet treats.

Now cooking is not just a hobby, but it has became a part of my lifestyle. 
Cooking doesn't only force me to be creative (trying out new recipes and experimenting), but it enables me to control my intake.

At first I started with breakfast. 
Well, it doesn't take much effort to prepare breakfast, as most of them don't require cooking. Chia seeds, plain yogurt, eggs, boiled carrots and fruits are some of my go-to breakfast menus (see my post on "Breakfast").

After a while, I felt the urge to prepare my own lunch. 
So I started by cooking just once or twice a week, and now (I try my best to do) at least 3-4 times a week, sticking to simple and healthy recipes.


The bottom part of the pic above are some of the lunch I cooked (left to right):
  • "Chinese fried rice" style quinoa with diced chicken breast (so no rice)
  • Pesto buckwheat pasta with poached egg and cherry tomatoes
  • Organic noodles with chicken breast and boiled carrots
  • Oven baked pesto chicken with baby carrots
There are tons of recipe on the internet, and there are a lot of healthy recipes too.
Just look them up and try them! 
Be creative and healthy at the same time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment